Interesting Sleep Facts
- Sea otters hold hands while sleeping to keep from floating away from each other.
- Humans can survive longer without food than without sleep.
- The brain consolidates, strengthens, reorganizes, and restructures memories and new skills while sleeping.
- Humans are the only mammal that voluntarily delays sleep.
- Scientists do not know for certain why we sleep.
Sleep affects every aspect of our lives.
The quality and duration of sleep significantly impacts mental health, physical health, learning, and development. Despite its crucial importance, nearly 1/3 of adults and kids do not get enough sleep.
Poor sleep hygiene, lifestyle, obligations, sleep disorders, and other medical conditions are all contributing factors to lack of sleep. However, one of the greatest contributing factors is underappreciation of just how impactful sleep is on overall functioning.
Five Ways to Improve Sleep Quality and Duration:
1.Increase exposure to sunlight, especially in the morning.
2.Engage in frequent movement, stretching, and exercise throughout the day.
3.Reduce exposure to artificial lights and screens.
4.Maintain a consistent wake and bedtime schedule, even on weekends.
5.Spend time relaxing before bed (without a screen).
Give these a try for a more restful, productive, and enjoyable work or school experience.
Hope you have a fabulous fall!
©2023 Individual Matters. All rights reserved. Feel free to republish so long as credit is given.
Individual Matters® is a registered trademark of Individual Matters, LLC